Monday, January 16, 2012

Painted Furniture

As mentioned in my previous post, I hate to sand furniture. It's grueling! And let's be honest, it's pretty darn messy too. Before my husband and I bought our home, we were renting a house from a friend. The master had a huge built in closet that took up the length of the room. Therefore we didn't need dressers. Prior to living there we had only one dresser which was a dresser from my childhood that I just put into our guest room. However, when we were buying our home, which took 5 months because we purchased a short sale, I had time to think about our furniture needs for our master. We had no furniture. Okay, if you consider two IKEA night stands as "furniture", we had them. But we had no dressers and we didn't have built ins in our new home. And every cent we had was going into our down payment. I wasn't about to live without furniture and wasn't going to purchase a new set either. Personally, I like the eclectic look anyway, where things don't necessarily go together. So piecing something together was right up my alley. And we didn't really have a choice unless I wanted to wait till we could afford something new.

Here's the room that inspired me!

These were my inspiration pieces - Marth Stewart Furniture Collection


 






In our garage we had an old beat up dresser that I picked up for $25 at a garage sale and made my husband drag home. Literally! No kidding! We had no truck and the garage sale was on our street but like a quarter to a half a mile away. So, of course I insisted that we carry it. Let's just say he wasn't happy with me that day. He's certainly happy now, because he has a place to put his socks, but then, not so much! Anyway, this bad boy needed lots of TLC and I'm not sure I even new why I thought to take it home. I think there is something about a garage saler's mentality that makes them buy crap. I don't have a photo of what it looked like because I wasn't thinking that I would need one, although it would have been great for a "Before" and "After" whether for this post or just to have.  This isn't it, but it looked something like this which I found on Young House Love.
 Although it didn't look exactly like this, you get the idea! I can tell you the top was a bit warped. It had stuff peeling off of it, which looked a little like newspaper.  It definitely needed some sanding on the top, so I did. 
It had the same handles.
And look, it's even peeling on top!

For a second dresser, because our room was large, I inherited a cherry stained dresser from my friend who was moving out of the country and not taking furniture with her.  It was a nice enough dresser, but I needed to change it up.  So, along with the garage sale dresser, the inherited dresser, and my two night stands, I removed the handles, and painted them black.  This is how I painted it.  Just A Girl.  I used all the same products here.  


It was a very time consuming process and I was five months pregnant to boot!  But I think it was worth it. 

                      Inherited cherry stained dresser                                 $25 garage sale find.

 I think I spent the most on handles.  These were $5 a pop at Home Depot.  Yikes!


Our IKEA night stands had a place here too!

 Refurbished childhood dresser found a home in our room as well!  Painted it black to match.
And spray painted the handles silver. Thanks, Rustoleum!


And here's my room



This bench, I picked up at a thrift store years ago and recovered the cushion to match the old peach 80's headboard of my in-laws that I mentioned in my first post.  The wrought iron was a maroon copper color and I kept that color until I chose to do black furniture, then I spray painted it black to match.  

Here's the breakdown on how I got this look on a budget:
Benjamin Moore Paint on the walls - Glass Slipper (light blue)-$50/gallon x2 (overpriced, but I loved the color) 
Headboard $225 - Macy's (Wedding gift card that I held onto for 5 years.  Yes, 5 years!)
Dressers - Free + $25
Knobs - $110
Paint and supplies - $60

I could literally breakdown all the things I've done in this room to get the "look".  But it could take hours.  I like to do things on a budget.  I don't feel like you have to have a lot to get the look you're hoping for.  It truly just takes some creativity and energy to make it happen!

I hope you've been inspired too!!! 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment