Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Curtains make a difference


I give credit to anyone who hangs curtains. It's a challenging job, which is why I think most people don't do it. But what I've found is curtains can really finish a room.  I love this look.  Long curtains that puddle at the floor is so dramatic to me. Wouldn't you agree that finding the right ones and spending the money on them is
always the challenge?  


In my experience so far, I've found that IKEA has a good selection at a great price.  Usually you can buy two panels for the price of one.  And who doesn't love that deal, right?  And the the best thing about it, is you can usually always get the look you're trying to achieve in that store, even if it takes you a day to understand the photo instructions and two days to put it together. UGH!

In my master bedroom, I have 5 windows.  One wall is mostly all windows.  Sure, I have blinds on them to keep out the peepers, but the curtains give the room an extra special touch that blinds don't.  And they keep out a little extra sun when you're trying desperately to sleep in on a Saturday or Sunday - even when that 18 month old won't let you.

We've lived in our house 2 years now, and just a couple of weeks ago I finally just hemmed the curtains in my room.  I had originally used that iron on tape to hem them, but don't let them fool you and think you don't need to sew them. YOU DO!  Everytime I closed the curtains at night, the tape began to peel.  So, I had to take them down, and hem those suckers.  But honestly, I actually like them better and feel my room is a little more complete than before because I don't have to look at the tape peeling anymore.

Here's my bedroom before


And here's the after!




  

By hemming my bedroom curtains, I was inspired to get some for my living room.  Again, at IKEA. I was feeling really blah about that room and was even considering putting slipcovers on my furniture to change the room up, but instead, I opted to put up some curtains.  My furniture is chenille fabric, therefore, I chose to go with a velvet curtain.  Here's a closer look at the material. 



  Here's my living room before


And the after!
 Look at this difference.  I love the look! 

I'm still on the fence about removing the blinds on the french doors because they are taking a beating from my kids, and I don't love the look of them, but the curtains are really to add an accent, not for privacy, so I will probably keep them.

Cost for the living room - 2 velvet panels for $49.
And an extra long curtain rod - $9.99
Two round ends because I wanted a different look for my living room - under $5
The rings for hanging - these I got at Bed Bath and Beyond, because I didn't get them at IKEA, but you can.  2 packs @ $7.99/pack + (2) 20% off coupons. (you can get a pack of 10 at IKEA for $2.99)
Black screws from the hardware store, because either IKEA is a little on the cheap side and doesn't want to include them with the rods, or because they think you don't need them.  $2.00

Total cost for my living room - $80.00 (this is a lot less than slipcovers - either making them or buying them!)
Total cost for my bedroom - not sure, it was 2 years ago.  I am known for keeping a lot of crap, but I definitely didn't keep the receipt for that.

Either way, if you love the look of the good stuff like at Potterybarn or Ballard Designs - go to IKEA first and see how you can get the look on a dime, not a dollar!

Now get out that ladder and hang some curtains! 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment