Friday, January 13, 2012

Inexpensive Headboard

This is my first post to "Christine Inspired". Let me begin by telling you that this will be a longer than normal post because it's my first and I wanted to give you an introduction into my world of DIY and what inspires me. Any post after this shouldn't be that long, so don't leave now thinking "This chic just goes on and on..."

I already have a photography blog, and a family blog, both of which I don't write in enough. It dawned on me this week when I found myself looking at Pinterst that I needed to start a blog on all the projects that I do and other things that inspire me. Mostly I'm referring to anything and everything, to narrow it down for you. No, really, I love to make things, I love to decorate my home, I love to DIY it! So, why not blog about it?  And you're thinking, "Cause there just aren't enough blogs out their already, Lady."

I mostly find myself using blogs to get ideas and learn how to do projects. When I began DIYing way back, I didn't have these types of resources. I had books! You know the ones you check out at the library. You know the place you have to be quiet, can't take food or drinks, and where you get fined for overdue books!  Yes, that one! How old school, right? I still find myself there, checking out 10 books at a time on how to make something. But these days, I mostly go there for the kids! Partly because when I have an idea or need some help on how to do something, I just jump on the computer, my Smartphone, and now, my iPad that my husband so lovingly gave me for Christmas.

Anyway, back to Pinterest! This past week, I was granted an invite and I was sooooooo excited! I'm sure you can relate! It's like a wonderland of ideas for people, let's just call them "women" who have way too much to do and find themselves getting completely sucked into this mysterious place called "Pinterest". You can go from one blog to the next, originally looking for ideas on how to organize your office, to making a headboard. Which leads me to my first post.

This isn't my first headboard. I've stripped and stained one. I've taken my in-laws old peach fabric covered one from the 80's and changed it's look and recovered it. And this one is for my guest room/craft room/man cave/office.

My mother in-law had recently redone her bathrooms and brought me this beautiful chenille green fabric that she was using as a shower curtain.  When she brought it over, I thought, "What am I going to do with this?" And I almost gave it away. But then when this headboard idea came up, I realized it was a perfect fit and it found a good home! So, I began browsing the internet to find out how I could make one without ply wood and a saw. I found the idea of using a painter's canvas from A Soft Place. I had a painter's canvas already from another project that I hadn't started yet, but it was just too short for the bed.

While on my way to Michael's to get something for another project, instead of going straight through the traffic light, I went left, and found myself at the Salvation Army! Sign outside read "HUGE SALE TODAY!" Hello?  3pm in the afternoon, with two kids in tow, I found myself rummaging at the thrift store. Which by the way, I love to do, so it wasn't torture by any means! I asked the clerk while I browsed around, "When you say, "Huge Sale" what does that mean?" "Everything in the store is half off today," the nice clerk replied! "OMG! It's my lucky day, and I've hit the jackpot," I thought. In the way back of the store in the furniture section leaned up against the wall, a terribly outdated painting on canvas, perfect size, and half off! $15. Sold!


And back there, I also found this beautiful antique mirror hidden behind something insignificant to me. But it was $15. Sold! As I turned the corner I found this solid wood dresser.
I quickly snapped a photo with my phone and began hoovering over it before someone else claimed it, then sent it to my friend who's currently decorating her son's room as he transitions from nursery to a big boy room. I knew that I couldn't let her pass this puppy up. I know the value of a dresser like that. With a little elbow grease and some paint, this dresser can be worth the Pottery Barn price of $750 and made to look like this.
This price tag said $159, but due to my thriftiness, luck, and her willingness to buy and pick it up, it was only $80. I love it!!! I learned how to easily paint my furniture from Just A Girl. No sanding necessary! My least favorite thing to do! I'll keep you posted and upload a picture of how this dresser turns out for her. 

Now back to that darn headboard! Again this is where I found great instructions on how to make it.  A Soft Place.  However it was really simple, it was just nice to get a visual from someone else on exactly what to do.

       It looks like my 17 month old daughter was just excited about the new headboard as I was.

                                                                           Before...

and after
I wanted to tuft the headboard but the buttons wouldn't take the chenille fabric because it was too thick.  So, next time I find myself at Jo-Ann's I may pick up some larger buttons with hopes that the fabric will work on those, but if not, it's good enough for me!

Okay it's not a room I should've even made a headboard for, but I truly cannot stand to look at a bed with pillows leaning up against the wall. It looks so unfinished and IT BUGS! And every time I walked into this room, all I saw was this bare wall, with pillows up against it. No matter how nicely I made the bed, it just never looked finished to me, so I had to do something. And I wasn't going to pay much for that room. Or any room for that matter. I like to be "creatively cheap", to give it a good name! But mainly I get so much satisfaction from making something out of nothing. It's very rewarding.

The cost of this headboard:  40x60 old painted canvas $15, the batting was Jo-Ann's Hi-Loft Batting 81" x 96",  and I doubled it, 50% off at Jo-Ann Fabrics at $17, fabric - free, D-Rings at Home Depot $5.  You're looking at about $40 with tax.  A bed with a headboard - priceless!

On to the next project!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment